Full programme description
Do you work in the medical profession? Do you want to be more dementia aware and give outstanding care? This programme has been designed for those working in a healthcare setting to develop a deeper insight of mental health and dementia awareness.
You will start by completing 'Mental Health Awareness’, which will then unlock the Dementia Awareness course, each being approximately 2.5 hours. This is because the Mental health Awareness course:
- Has explanations of historic and current legislation you need to be aware of
- Gives you useful information about the support avenues currently available to all walks of life, this includes such things as 'Sunflower Spaces'
- Hosts current figures from the HSE, parliament and other key organisations that can support initiatives and verify needs
- Supports you in refreshing your knowledge
- Offers real life case studies that are explored and recommended signposting, this includes aspects such as postpartum psychosis
- The Dementia Awareness course does not duplicate any knowledge covered in the Mental Health Awareness course
The whole programme will develop your knowledge in mental health and dementia awareness. Exploring causes, signs, symptoms and support strategies that can really make a difference to people's lives.
In this course we will cover:
- Types of dementia
- The causes, signs and symptoms of dementia
- Developing a person-centred approach to dementia patients
- Communication methods for dementia patients
- Equality, diversity and rights of dementia patients
On successful completion you will receive 3 CPD certificates confirming your learning outcomes for each course undertaken and your full Dementia Awareness programme.
This fully online programme has been carefully designed to enable you to take the materials, apply the learning to your role and is broken down into manageable stages. This programme allows you to check your knowledge at relevant stages. Learning resources include:
- Narrated media
- Downloadable PDFs
- Signposting to suitable organisations
- Supporting glossaries
- Interactive elements
- Ongoing assessment
- Progress tracking
To ensure you are able to interact with all the programme content, you will need:
- Word Processor
- PDF reader
- Printer with paper and card
- Access to the internet
- Web browser with ability to use work VLE/LMS
*Please note that this course has no tutor involvement and does not qualify you to diagnose mental health or dementia issues.
Course review due: August 2021